Monday, March 28, 2011

Of poets and people..


రాజు  నివసించు  రాజ  సౌధమ్ములోన  
కవి నివసించు ప్రజల హృదయమ్ములోన 

[The King stays in magnificient palaces..
While the poet stays in the hearts of the people]

..so goes the fantastic poem written by Gurram Jashuva which very aptly describes the lines that I would have liked to write, post my visit to Mysore and Bangalore recently.

On the first day in Mysore, I was audience to the grandiosity and splendor of the high rise palaces, magnificient pieces of art that were hung in the museums, showing the rich and glorious lifestyle of the rulers back in the day, how people would throng to the palace to celebrate festivals and participate in processions, showing their loyalty to the King.

The very next day, in Bangalore, I was witness to the unparalleled affection and unprecedented admiration that a few thousands of people can have for a single man, and how, at the top of their voice, they were cheering for their super hero when he first entered the field and marked his place at the crease, like he had been doing for the past 21 years, never failing the hope people have in him. 

I could so easily relate the above poem to my experience of the two days drawing parallel to the King in the poem to the Mysore royalty and the great cricketer to the poet mentioned, and how the King can rule the masses, but it is the poet who truly wins them over.

My memory failed me in trying to recollect the other beautiful lines of the poem which would have added more meaning to this post.


On a very different note, it is such a sorrow to see nature's fury over the place I had written about earlier, and after I have written specifically about the beauty of nature in my last post. How contradicting! Hope they recover soon.

One thing is sure - 'nothing is for sure'.

No comments: