Monday, September 19, 2005

smoke-free thoughts

I have been reading 'Atlas Shrugged' by Ayn Rand lately and this conversation in the book caught my attention.

"I like cigarettes. I like to think of fire held in a man's hand. Fire, a dangerous force, tamed at his fingertips.
I often wonder about the hours when a man sits alone, watching the smoke of a cigarette, thinking. I wonder what great things have come from such hours.
When a man thinks, there is a spot of fire alive in his mind-and it is proper that he should have the burning point of a cigarette as his one expression."

From times I have known, smoking has been a symbol of deep thinking.
Be it Sherlock Holmes, who would always get a mystery-solving brilliant idea after consuming good amounts of tobacco.
Or the innumerous novelists/writers depicted in movies. Everywhere smoking is associated with creative thinking.
As if something great would always be born out of the smoker's mind.

How true is it? Out of the whole smoking community how many of them will be thinking creative while smoking?
Or may be whatever smokers think while smoking is in one way or the other creative.

However, the analogy of the spot of fire in the smoker's mind and the fire held in his hand impressed me.
Really a good expression.

No comments: