Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Return of the IPL and Simplicity

Refraining myself from watching IPL was tough. It was South Africa and the matches were in odd times - the 4.30 pm ones, so I thought I should try not watching the matches. It worked for a while because the Deccan Chargers won the first four and as long as they won I didn't have a problem not watching the game. I am sure many would agree, cricket and sentiments always go together. Such is the love of the game that you do want to believe in irrational sentiments too, just because you want your team to win.

But it was time and again proved that cricket is addictive, and IPL even more. Day by day the matches got better and the results interesting. With different combinations resulting in different semi-finalists, my interest in the other matches also grew and I watched KKR hit badly and Delhi, as always, was good to watch.

Finally DC won. Peace ensued. :-)

Amidst all this, the post is not a three line summary of the IPL. Another thing I wanted to write about was about the blog, its simplicity and the English language. Repeatedly, I get a comment that the blog is simple (and nice). Lets talk simple first. Nice, we all know, it is. :-)

I agree this blog is no Midnight's Children and I wanted it that way (or rather I can't write the other way). I don’t want you to run for the dictionary every time you start reading the blog.

Another reason the blog is simple is that most of us from small non-hindi speaking towns know the difficulties associated with mastering the vocabulary of three languages - the native, the national and the international, all before you are 10 years of age and being able to read, write and speak proficiently in all of them. Its no easy task and in the process you tend to learn the LCD [Least Common Denominator] vocabulary of the three languages to be able to express yourself clearly and most important of all, pass all the exams :-)

I am sure you all remember the days when we used to by-heart the meanings of English words closing the meaning side in the book with the palm and finally learning them after hundreds of repetitions.

Besides, the vocabulary is so confusing. Lets see. Think "pummel" and "plummet". How close they look. You might remember the two meanings associated with the two words but again fail to realize which meaning was which word's. That's just the beginning :-)

Over all, reasons are many .. my writing habit was primitive (ended by the time I passed school), vocabulary limited (the non-GRE types), and the blog is for a broader reader base (I want even kids to read this blog :-)).. hence the simplicity.

Isn't simple beautiful?

No comments: