Friday, August 19, 2005

pressure?

Back in class 7, when I was participating in the first elocution competition being conducted outside school, I was all geared up for the event. The topic being interesting, I was prepared for all the 3 minutes I will be allowed to speak. And why was the topic interesting? Yes, the most common reason. Movies. "Impact of cinema on today's youth". I had content covering the Baazigar spects, the k..k..kiran touch and was sure I would emerge with one of the prizes. It was all fine till my name was called. And then feet started trembling, voice went dead. I could barely speak a word. All of this just because, one person in the audience was interested in my performance. And that person wanted me to emerge the winner outperforming all others no matter how good they were and how weak I was.

Imagine a Sachin Tendulkar in the middle of 100,000 people at the stadium and millions of them watching him offline, all of them wanting him to get a century, no matter what the opposition is and what the circumstances are. I agree. To be chosen out of one billion people should make you all strong to face such pressure. But is it justifiable to ask every innings of his to be the best one? Is it justifiable to ask the Indian team to win all the matches? And yeah, I am also one of the persons who want our team to win all the matches.

But as some great person said, "The audience is always right".
Leaving it to the audience to decide.

No comments: